Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"Right now we have Low Thia Khiang, Chiam See Tong, Steve Chia. We can deal with them. Suppose you had 10, 15, 20 opposition members in Parliament. Instead of spending my time thinking what is the right policy for Singapore, I'm going to spend all my time thinking what's the right way to fix them, to buy my supporters votes, how can I solve this week's problem and forget about next year's challenges?"

~~ Lee Hsien Loong at Lunchtime Election Rally, 3rd May 2006.


"When I call a man openly, you're a liar, you're dishonest, and you do not dare to sue me, there's something basically wrong. And I will repeat it anywhere and you can't go and say, oh, I have apologised; let's move on. Can you commit a dishonourable -- maybe even one which is against the law -- an illegal act and say, let's move on because I've apologised? You may move on but you're going to move on out of politics in time."

~~ Lee Kuan Yew commenting on James Gomez, an opposition candidate during rally, 30th April 2006


There are a number of people who had moved on, either out of politics or out of the country.

He who was voted in by the people and thrown out of paliament by the authority.
He who stands un-wavered in the face of bankruptcy and marginalization, with the belief that what he is standing for is worth the trouble.
One Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam.
He even has a blog.

His fellow comrade, Tang Liang Hong, had a short but eventful political career as well.
He has 13 defamation suits against him alone.
His story mimic twists and turns of typical TV drama.
His impact on deteriorating relations between two neighbouring countries can be found here.

Another quitter from paradise goes by the name Francis T. Seow.
The former Solicitor General of Singapore has been critical of our judicial system.
Perhaps that gave us a glimpse of why he was ousted.
Today he remains in touch with affairs in his homeland and gives his view from afar.

Finally, we have this foreign economist, Christopher Lingle, who fled the country after being questioned for publishing this.

They are some better known names. The list is far from exhaustive.
Today, I hope the list does not grow any further.
I hope.

Word I learnt today:

in absentia
adv.

While or although not present; in absence: was tried and convicted in absentia.

审判等的缺席

No comments: